As a kid, my parents would often make great dinners. But none were more fun than making our own pizzas.
My dad taught us to make French Bread Pizzas and to load them up with whatever toppings we wanted. I was not very picky so I would add as many things as that little piece of bread could hold.
Today, the kids got to make their own French Bread Pizzas. My kids are plenty picky so I only had basic toppings on hand. While I prepared mine I had flashbacks of when I was teen working at a pizza joint. It was a cool experience!
1 French Bread Sliced and Halved
1 Jar of Pizza Sauce
1 16oz Bag of Mozzarella Cheese
1 Package of Pepperoni
1 Package of Canadian Bacon (Or you could use Ham)
Fresh sliced Mushrooms
I let each kid spoon enough sauce on each piece of bread and load their toppings. Meanwhile, I preheated the oven. Once the toppings were loaded we popped them into the oven for 13 minutes on 400. Oven times vary so just watch it.
French Bread halved and sliced
Pepperoni, Canadian Bacon, Mozzarella and Pizza Sauce
Ready for the oven
13 minutes at 400 degrees. Yummy!
What are your favorite pizza toppings?
When the kids were attending public school it was so easy to put money on their lunch accounts each week and send them off! Now, that the kids are home and I am no longer working, I have had to come up with easy yet filling meal options. All the while keeping in mind general dislikes and likes of the family. It was not easy at first to come up with lunch and breakfast ideas but with tips I got from other moms and things I remembered from my childhood I was able to make it work.
We like to keep breakfast and lunch very simple. I scoured the web for easy lunch ideas but everything involved cooking or meals with too many ingredients. I came up with this standard menu but we try to switch it up.
Here are some things we do for breakfast and lunch:
- Monday – Breakfast Tacos
- Tuesday – Oatmeal (whatever toppings or mix-ins)
- Wednesday – Eggs, Black Beans and Fried Plantains
- Thursday – Bagel with Cream Cheese and Yogurt
- Friday – Eggs and Bacon with Toast
- Monday – Quesadillas, Avocado and Chips and Salsa
- Tuesday – Ham Sandwich with Chips and Fruit
- Wednesday – Humus with Pita Chips, Turkey and Cheese
- Thursday – Pinto Bean Burritos (there are some seriously good recipes out there)
- Friday – Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup
- Apples, Oranges, Grapes, Mangoes, Kiwis, Berries
- Walnuts, Almonds and Sunflower Seeds
- Crackers, Pretzels, Pita Chips
We have been so much happier cooking our food at home. We can control the ingredients and customize them to our tastes. Meal times are so much more enjoyable because they present opportunities for us to talk about the day.
So there you have it! Quick, easy and simple!
What are some breakfast and lunch ideas that you would like to share? Share in the comments!